buzzoole code

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Too Much Flouride

We all know that flouride strengthens teeth and prevents decay, but for your toddler.... it's best to hold it. Too much of it, even if it is good can be bad for them. Most 1 year olds can't resist swallowing toothpaste, and ingesting large amounts of it can lead to flourosis, a condition that causes defects in the enamel - including discoloration and uneven surfaces - of permanent teeth and leaves them more vulnerable to cavities.


Your kid won't be ready for flouride toothpaste until age 2 or 3, when she learns to stop swallowing it. Meanwhile, she can get flouride from other sources like your drinking water, or ask your dentist whether she needs to take a supplement.

6 comments:

Deo said...

heheheh... di naman po siguro poisonous ang flouride... mga pamankin ko start palang sila magbrush ng teeth pag 3 years old na sila... Anyway thanks for visiting my site....

Deo

Sanctity of Life said...

Thanks for this post. Seriously, I refused the fluoride pills the pediatrician tried to push on me for both of my kids, and as a brand new nurse, am not too happy about promoting it for the tiny children of others.

I grew up on well water, and my teeth are beautiful thank you very much!

The Mother said...

Most communities in the US fluoridate their water. So most dentists in the US don't recommend fluoride supplements.

gie said...

pde naman mommy liz walang toothpaste. asin na lang. =D

Online Printing said...

Actually, intake of toothpaste can be very lethal. I saw that on one episode of CSI. Pretty cool, and at the same time, scary. :D

Empty Streets said...

Dropping by to say hi on a cold rainy thursday night :) Keep nice and cozy tonight :)xoxo

 
The Vampire Queen DiariesCopyright 2009