One proven way to outsmart allergies is to nosh on oranges. The fruit's vitamin C reduces the body's output of histamines (inflammatory compounds that trigger allergy symptoms) by 38%. Here's a delicious way to enjoy the citrus fruit.
Citrus-Kissed Confetti Toss
- 2 tbs. each granulated sugar, white wine vinegar and vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. dried mustard
- 1/4 tsp. celery salt
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup diced green peppers
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onions
In large bowl, whisk together first 5 ingredients, 1/4 cup orange juice and 1/2 teaspoon orange zest. Season with black pepper, if desired. Add cabbages, carrots, peppers and onions; toss gently to coat. Chill until ready to serve. You may add diced apples or pears if you like.